My CONTACT :

Damian S. L. Yeo & L. C. Goh (DSLY)
No. 2007, Lorong Sidang Omar, off Jalan Penghulu Abbas, Bukit Baru, Hang Tuah Jaya, 75100 Melaka

Tel : 06-2347011
& 06-2347012
Fax: 06-2347022

------------------------------------

Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Peee M speech. A mere rhetoric?

Dissecting Najib's maiden speech as Prime Minister.

“On behalf of all Malaysians, I would like to thank Yang Berbahagia Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi for his 31 years of exemplary public service to our country, his commitment to strengthening the institutions and fabric of our democracy and for his graceful example as our leader. (Exemplary in the Civil Service, maybe but as PM, I had very high hope on him to reform and change the delivery system, democratise the institution and eradicate corruption but he had failed miserably. Should he had actively done what he preached as Prime Minister especially so after getting a huge mandate after the 2004 election and walk the talk, he would have been Father of Democracy or something-like-that)

“I am grateful to Yang Berbahagia Tun for his confidence in proposing my name as prime minister to Duli Yang Maha Mulia Seri Paduka Baginda Yang di-Pertuan Agong, and I am honoured that His Majesty has consented to my appointment with this morning’s swearing-in ceremony. I feel a deep sense of humility at the opportunity to serve as your Prime Minister at an important time in our nation’s history. (No issue)

“My life has been dedicated to public service. (No comment)

“Growing up, I was inspired by the positive impact of public service in the example of my late father. Four decades on, I remain committed to the goals of tackling poverty, of restructuring our society, of expanding access to quality education for all, and of inspiring a new generation of young Malaysians to work on behalf of this great country. (Our public service is corrupted to the core - not I that say it but Tun Mahatir. Our poverty rate is still high and people are in debt, our society is still divided by race and politics, our education system is worst off than 20 years ago and that can be seen that our Universities are not used to be in the 70s and 80s where we are able to compete with the top Universities in the world. Our Medical degrees are not recognised in the European Countrie. AND that the most educated people are elsewhere and not in Malaysia, many of my friends are example for that. In fact, I know of top students not given scholarships and I can bet my life on it)

“My own service in government has always been about getting results: To ensure a better deal for teachers, to improve conditions for our brave soldiers, and to strengthen our economy in defence of the people of Malaysia, as we deal with the outbreak of a global recession. (When the Opposition says that the RM6 Billion is not enough, the government says that the Opposition don't know anything but when Najib introduced the RM70 Billion stimulus package, he should thank the Opposition for the speaking the truth. What results are we talking about when our Ringgit is plunging)

“In the coming weeks, I will be consulting with people around our country, as I begin to reshape the leadership and priorities of the Government. I am mindful that we should build on the successes and lessons of the past. It must be a government with new approaches for new times — a government that places priority on performance, because the people must come first. (Well, I am hopeful. But words are mere rethoric. I want to see a new set cabinet ministers and adminstrators who are commited to 'One Malaysia' or rather a Malaysian Malaysia. But should it is a mere talk by the in coming PM, then 13th general election will be the last of RAHMAN)

“We must reach out to all parts of Malaysia... to all our diverse communities. In our national discourse and in the pursuit of our national agenda, we must never leave anyone behind. We must reach out to the many who may have been disaffected and left confused by political games, deceit and showmanship. (There are many who are poor or rather hard core poor. Go to the east and see for yourself the situation around. Look at the rural area and the marginalised people who are easily forgotten and only remembered once every general election. Look closer to home, the Indian community? Is it enough the recent allocation of a mere RM80 millions for Tamil schools around the country?)

“We must draw on talented people across our nation, regardless of their position or background, to re-energise a passion for public service. We must sow the seeds of goodwill and understanding in every corner of this land, so that we continue to harvest the fruits of progress and prosperity for all Malaysians. (Hey what about my friend, I think he is happy now at Caltech. Top student in Negeri Sembilan. No wonder all the top and intelligent chaps are not here but elsewhere)

“We must seek to include and unlock the potential of our young people who will be the next generation of leaders, business people, engineers, scientists, teachers and doctors. We must give them wings to fly. (rhetoric. I am still hopeful)

“And so today, I pledge that I will work tirelessly to serve all of you. (you better or are you intending to shut dissidents)

“In this spirit, I would like to announce that the government has decided with immediate effect, to remove the temporary ban on two news publications, release 13 detainees from ISA detention, and conduct a comprehensive review of the Internal Security Act. Additional details will be announced by the Ministry of Home Affairs shortly. (Only 13 ISA detainees? What about Kota Alam Shah wakil rakyat and Utayakumar? Remember that Mahatir also release detainees in his early years as PM and arrested many during his tenure. Review ISA? What about the other oppressive laws. Oh I forget, election gimmick)

“These decisions are timely as we move to enhance the confidence of our citizens in those entrusted with maintaining peace, law and order, while recognising the need to remain vigilant of the very real security threats we continue to face as a young nation. (Timely, I don't think so. Maybe Najib should read the hansard when Tunku Abdul Rahman introduced the ISA Bill)

“I know that for every citizen, these are hard times and I remain focused in providing strong leadership to lead us out of this economic crisis and unleash our full potential as a nation. I will be steadfast in my commitment to meet the needs, aspirations and concerns of all Malaysians. (I remain hopeful but my patent is running out since 2006)

“So today I ask you to join me in this task of renewing Malaysia. I urge us to rise to the challenge of building a One Malaysia. People First. Performance Now. (Another rhetoric. I have rise to the challenge to be part of DAP in focusing on Malaysian Malaysia. AND I have heard so many slogans that still is a SLOGAN. I remember Pak Lah says that he is the Prime Minister for all Malaysian. So now we have One Malaysia. People First. Performance Now. I shall wait and see)

“Let us begin this great journey together.” (I remain hopeful)

1 comment:

joshua said...

No Malaysians get to vote for their PM except Umno members.

Constitutional?