Damian S. L. Yeo & L. C. Goh (DSLY)
No. 2007, Lorong Sidang Omar, off Jalan Penghulu Abbas, Bukit Baru, Hang Tuah Jaya, 75100 Melaka

Tel : 06-2347011
& 06-2347012
Fax: 06-2347022


Friday, July 18, 2008

DSAI's Press Statement

The below is DSAI press statement after his release:

On Saturday (July 12), police came to my house to serve a Section 111 Criminal Procedure Code notice, harassing my family and demanding my presence at the IPK Kuala Lumpur at 2pm, Monday (July 14).

On the next day, Sunday (July 13), police also served an ex-parte court order, prohibiting me from physically being within 5km from Parliament on Monday (July 14).

My house and the IPK KL are within 5km radius from the Parliament building. The court order effectively put me under house arrest on Monday and at the same time prevented me from going to the IPK.

On Monday, the presence of police officers outside the compound of my house strengthened our suspicions that they would be prepared to arrest me as soon as I left the compound of my residence, on the pretext of me violating the court order.

The issue here is which order should I comply with, the ex-parte court order or the Section 111 notice from the police.

On the same day, police through I.O. DSP Jude Pereira, wrote and faxed me at about 1.06pm, informing that I was to be present at the IPK KL on Wednesday (July 16) at 2pm.

I conveyed my agreement and it was communicated to the police through my solicitor Messrs S.N.Nair & Partners via telephone and letter on the same day.

On Wednesday, I was at the ACA head office to record my statement pursuant to the police report lodged by me at IPK Shah Alam on July 1.

We cut short our statement at the ACA’s office to ensure we will be able to attend our appointment with the police at 2pm.

At 12.45pm, DSP Jude called Nair to confirm our attendance and Nair confirmed that we will be there.

We were about to have a quick lunch at my house before proceeding to the IPK . Five minutes later, we were ambushed by a team of masked and heavily armed policemen near my house.

I was arrested and brought to the IPK. I cooperated fully with the police by giving my cautioned statement from 2.30pm to 7.30pm. At this particular point, the IO and the other officers handling the case were doing their job professionally.

I was then given assurance by ACP Ramli and later SAC II Khor (through my lawyers) that I would be released on police bail on the same day.

However, upon my return from HKL, DSP Jude informed me and my lawyers that I will be detained and put in the lock-up overnight for the purpose of recording a further statement in the morning.

I and my lawyers protested, but the police were adamant despite them knowing about my physical condition.

This morning (Thursday), a short statement was recorded for 30 minutes and I was released on police bail.

I now wish to deal with the statement of CID director Datuk Mohd Bakri Zinin as appeared in Utusan Malaysia.

(Bakri was quoted as saying the police had to intercept Anwar and arrest him in Bukit Segambut because he changed the direction of his vehicle in the last minutes before the 2pm deadline)

This is a blatant lie from the CID director.

I have given assurances and had just informed the I.O 5 minutes before the disgraceful ambush by the police through my lawyer who was with me in the same car.

In addition, the Deputy Home minister (Datuk) Wan Farid said, as reported in STAR online that I ’went voluntarily to the police car without any incident.’ This again, is a blatant lie by the Government.

I take to task the IGP for this abuse of power against me though the events I’ve narrated above.

It appears that the nature of my unwarranted arrest, my overnight incarceration, were an act of personal vengeance against me in retaliation yo the reports I lodged earlier against him, which are now being investigated by ACA.

No comments: