My CONTACT :

Damian S. L. Yeo & L. C. Goh (DSLY)
No. 2007, Lorong Sidang Omar, off Jalan Penghulu Abbas, Bukit Baru, Hang Tuah Jaya, 75100 Melaka

Tel : 06-2347011
& 06-2347012
Fax: 06-2347022

------------------------------------

Thursday, June 7, 2007

A Comment on Islam by Nik Elin (a fellow lawyer friend of mine)

I read this piece from the Malaysian Bar Website written by a friend of mine, Nik Elin. Very profound and well said regarding Islam. I take my hats off her for it shows sincerity and honesty of her understanding of Islam. There are so many tension causing the name Islam to be linked as a religion of terror. Causing to much fear to the non Muslim. The gathering in Court last week by the so called PEMBELA group easily cause fear together with their chants "Allah hu Akhbar". But Nik Elin's article is just so timely to cause us to disregard the fears lingering in the mind of non Muslim. This is her piece....

-----

"Allah hu Akhbar! Allah hu Akhbar!" Allah is great.

I say these words on a daily basis, countless of times. These words when said softly, and with full conviction, gives me peace of mind, and solace. I do believe that Allah hu Akhbar.

Ash ha du ala ila ha il lal lah. I bear testimony that there is only one God.

Yet, these same words when shouted, brings only fear and is terrorising. Flashes of memories of a few years ago. I still remember as I stepped out of my car and hundreds of men shouting ALLAH HU AKHBAR greeted me. I had just arrived at the Grand Riverview Hotel in Kota Bharu (as it was then called). Police personnel and FRU was surrounding me and my husband. The shouts seemed louder. I was there to attend a Royal Dinner organised by the Pegawai Tadbir Negeri Kelantan. The hooligan crowd was dressed in Serbans and Pelikats and hardly wore any battling attire, but they seemed like as if they were in battle and ready to die a martyr.

The reason? To stop women performers from entertaining in the private function organised to celebrate the Sultan's birthday.

They were not easily coaxed into going home. To them, no women should show her voice which they claim forms part of women's "aurat", and must be stopped in the name of Allah.

Too nichetty and trivial? Not to them. Try telling them that we have our own graves and that they should not bother us with their interpretation of Islam while we have ours. Try telling them that they have no right to decide on our faith and our beliefs, and immediately we are labelled as murtad and infidels. Try telling them that women have rights and they tell us that our rights are in the kitchen and in our homes and that we have a right to be subservient to our men. Try telling them that if some of us have no more faith in Islam because of the fear that they themselves have created for us, and they will tell us that the death sentence on us is imminent for we have dared to challenge their authority.

Then we hear of a joint forces "Pembela" which successfully stopped the "Article 11" forum in Penang and Johor with their threats of violence.

Then again about 300 Allah hu Akhbar shouters rallied together at the Federal Court building recently to "peacefully" listen to the verdict on Azalina Jalani. How can it be peaceful if it had loud hailers and shouts of Aggression? Allah is watching. Is Allah happy that they are doing this to protect Allah's religion? Really? Allah is Akhbar and doesn't need protection from or by mere mortal beings like me or you.

Allah has his way. Let Allah decide. After all don't we believe that Allah is Akhbar?

What is it all about? I can only speculate that it all boils down to one thing, POWER AND TO STAY IN POWER.

Who is Akhbar? Allah is Akhbar. And so they use Gods name to give them power. They use the cloak of being under Gods instructions. And with it they have created the most powerful tool. FEAR.

God tells us to be God fearing. And yes, I do fear God. And I do fear Allah's wrath on me. And I do fear what God has in store for me in the hereafter. All those I should face God for all my sins. I have asked God for forgiveness each time after prayers, not only of mine but of my ancestors and sins of my parents, my children and my family. I fear God.

I do believe in God. But who are they to appoint themselves as "Gods appointee" to punish us all now in the present world? Who gave them that power? Why must they insist that we follow their instructions? Follow their guidance? Follow their faith?

When Azalina decided that she had embraced Christianity, are we to force her to re-embrace Islam? Azalina (Joy no more) cannot be forced to believe in this religion. I do hope and pray that she will eventually come back to the Islamic faith when she sees the greatness in Islam back again, but right now, how do I persuade her when all that these Islamist extremists and fanatics are doing, is making my religion a terrorising religion? Didn't God state, "there is no compulsion in Islam"? Why are we forcing Islam on the non believers? Did not Allah state, "To you your religion, to me unto mine"?

They are not following me to the grave, and neither would they follow Lina to her grave... Oh I may be wrong there, they might just snatch her body and insist on burying her in our Muslim cemetery. Why? Why do they want to do this? Why put non believers and crowd our cemeteries? Why crowd our heavens, if indeed, the heavens are only for the Muslims? But dont we believe in only one God? Then don't we believe that the God that Lina is praying to is the same God that we pray too as well? Or do they believe that Lina is praying to another God? Then where is their faith that Allah is only One? Have they not read or understood Surah Al Fatihah verse 5?

No comments: