My CONTACT :

Damian S. L. Yeo & L. C. Goh (DSLY)
No. 2007, Lorong Sidang Omar, off Jalan Penghulu Abbas, Bukit Baru, Hang Tuah Jaya, 75100 Melaka

Tel : 06-2347011
& 06-2347012
Fax: 06-2347022

------------------------------------

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Food Supply? It is enough?


I am in a PAS flyer. Never dreamt before that I' will be speaking in the same podium with YB Mahfuz Omar (Member of Parliament for Pokok Sena). Beautifully, last week I spoke with Mohamad Sabu or better known as Mat Sabu.

It is interesting to engage with PAS leaders so as to know their intention and mind. And yes I am impressed with the two PAS leaders. Both spoke very well and I am so glad that YB Mahfuz Omar spoke in length on the Food Security (Keselamatan Makanan). I am of the opinion that the motion by Datin Seri Dr Wan Azizah is very apt, urgent and important for the safe guarding of food supplies especially rice in the country. Stock piling of rice MUST be advocated so as to see continue supply of rice. The motion in English is reproduced below:-

Datin Seri Dr. Wan Azizah Binti Wan Ismail [ Permatang Pauh ] to ask the MINISTER OF AGRICULTURE AND AGRO-BASED INDUSTRY to state :-
(a) measures taken to guarantee food security in the country especially for the country to have a sufficient rice supply at an affordable price; and
(b) the guarantee that the Government is able to control Bernas policy in supplying rice and that Bernas will not take advantage of the crisis.

I am crossing my fingers, that at least, there should be stock piling of rice for up to a year. If anything less than a year, we are in deep trouble, which I think we are in deeper troubles now. I got a strong feeling that we have only the most 3 months of stock pile. If this is the case, then there will be a food crisis looming in Malaysia. Evidenced can be seen in the price of rice these couple of days.

It is so unfortunate, that the country is run by 'dungus'. There is no foresight (tiada wawasan) by our government. Strict and quick measures and policies must be drawn up or it will be the survival of the fittest. We cannot deny this threat of shortage of food supplies in Malaysia.

No comments: